This week, I wanted to share a winning recipe from the Glenbard Healthy Cooking Challenge. All four Glenbard high schools had two winning recipes that will be served in the cafeteria this week, Live Life Well Week, for all students to taste. This recipe is from Glenbard North. It is a fantastic representation of MyPlate guidelines with whole grain pasta, a good portion of vegetables, lean protein and dairy. And it’s quick to make! Enjoy!
1 pound whole wheat penne pasta (I tried Barilla Whole Grain penne for the first time last night and it was good- everyone like it! It’s made with whole wheat and oat fiber to pack each serving with 6 grams of fiber).
2 chicken breasts
1 green bell pepper
3 large carrots, peeled
1 small onion
1 pint grape or cherry tomatoes
2 cloves garlic
1/3 cup mozzarella cheese
6 tablespoons olive oil
6 teaspoons red wine vinegar
1 pinch seasoning salt
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and rinse.
- Dice chicken, then poach until no longer pink. Drain, and cool.
- Dice all vegetables. Mince garlic.
- Mix together dressing ingredients.
- Combine vegetables, pasta, chicken, mozzarella cheese and dressing. Mix until thoroughly combined. Chill and serve.