When the weather gets warm, we enjoy cool meals. Here is a tasty main dish salad you’ll want to try! The salad’s crisp vegetables, delicious dressing, and soft noodles work together as a refreshing combination for a summer meal.
But, please don’t let the longer list of ingredients keep you away, there are many shortcuts that make assembly easier:
- Rice noodles cook in boiling water for only 4 minutes.
- The chicken can be leftover from last night’s grill meal.
- Carrots can be bought already shredded in the grocer’s produce section.
- Garlic & ginger both have minced versions available.
- Fish sauce is found in the Asian section of your grocery store. It adds a great flavor to this salad’s dressing. Light soy sauce can be used as a substitute.
- Napa cabbage is available in the produce section. If not, you can also use savoy cabbage or even crisp iceberg lettuce.
I hope now you’re encouraged to try this recipe. It was recently featured in a class I taught and was enjoyed by all. Let me know if you like it, too!
Asian Noodle Salad with Chicken (serves 6-8)
16 ounces dried rice noodles (about 1/4-inch)
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
1/2 cup fresh lime juice (4-5 small limes)
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
2 tablespoons fish sauce
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon minced ginger
3 large cloves garlic, minced
1 small jalapeno pepper, minced
Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
8 cups thinly sliced Napa cabbage (from 1/2 large head)
1 cup shredded carrots
1 large cucumber, peeled if desired, cut into 1/2-inch dice
5 medium radishes, thinly sliced
1 cup fresh mint leaves
1/2 cup salted peanuts (optional), coarsely chopped
In a small bowl, combine the lime juice, cilantro, fish sauce, ginger, garlic, and jalapeno. Let this sit for at least 10 minutes.
Sauté chicken breast in non-stick skillet with 2 teaspoons olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. When cooked (opaque throughout), remove from heat. Set aside.
Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add rice noodles and stir immediately. Cook util the noodles are just tender (check in 4 minutes, cook no longer than 6 minutes total). Drain, rinse with cold water until noodles are cool. Drain well.
In a large bowl, combine the noodles, chicken, cabbage, carrots, cucumber, radishes, and mint leaves. Toss thoroughly with dressing. Serve on individual plates and garnish with peanuts, if desired. Enjoy!